Friday, February 29, 2008

Mumbai.... The Maximum City.

I'm sure that there will be many people after my blood once they finish reading this but I'll take a risk anyway! And for all those people who are used to reading my blogs, this is different in that I'm in a seriously shitty mood.

I came to Bombay, the city of dreams, some 6 months ago. I came here with the impression that I was going to live in one of the most prosperous cities in the world...the Financial hub of the nation... the City that never slept... The Maximum City.... Gosh...the names and captions were endless really....

BOY WAS I IN FOR A SURPRISE.

I landed at the SantaCruz Airport in Bombay and started disliking the place as soon as the auto got out of the Airport premises. IT WAS(IS) A FILTHY CITY. I am told that I traveled through some of the posher suburbs that day, to get to my destination (Andheri) . I can only imagine as to how clean the "not so posh" suburbs will be. Here are some of the things which changed the image that I had in mind and changed them rather violently.

Garbage Bins… A myth

Here, I don’t claim that Bangalore(the city where I grew up) is the cleanest city in the world. There are certain areas in Bangalore where even pigs would think twice before setting camp... But Bombay is something else altogether. It is not an uncommon sight to see an overflowing garbage bin here (and when I say over flowing, I mean that the garbage spills out to almost 10 metres away from the bin which is not really serving its purpose). The stench is unbearable and there are flies all over the place. And this even in posh areas, mind you.

Spit!!!

Spitting is the local pastime

The hygiene level of the people of Bombay seems to be primitive as they spit wherever they feel like. I know that I’m being a bit unfair by generalizing here but you will see red paan pools or thick gooey red blobs all over the roads and footpaths here. In fact, in the area where I stay, I get my daily dose of exercise as I hop scotch my way to college, trying all the time to avoid stepping into a fresh mound of spit(yes yes… not shit…spit).

It hurts and angers me to see people who do not respect what they have around them. (Like I said, I was in a shitty mood so bear with this for a while longer as I vent my frustration on whoever cares to read this)

The Local Trains

Here’s another bit that left me disappointed when I saw it for the first time. I have recently returned from Singapore where I stayed for 7 days. I used the Metro rail there, the pride of the city. I, not to feel left out, shot my mouth off claiming that it was nothing in comparison to the Mumbai local trains (I got weird looks that day and I wondered why). When I visited the Vile Parle station for the first time, I was SHOCKED. I was not that appalled by the crowd(or the spit pools and the fact that it smelt like a public latrine…I was used to all that by then). What I was shocked by was the fact that the whole system was very old and outdated. In the sense…the platform was crumbling at the edges, terribly cracked and eroded in places. Hygiene levels had hit all time lows (Even the ticket checkers were spitting at will) and trains were BURSTING at their seams.(Im assuming that trains have seams here)… Five million people a day….thats more than the population of relatively large countries in the world…that’s the number of people who use the Bombay Local trains everyday. Shouldn’t the Government take steps to make the system a better one? Shouldn’t the Government take steps to instill some pride into the people who use it by telling them that what they have is probably one of the best systems in the world? Shouldn’t the government spend a little more on maintaining the system? These were some of the questions that came to mind almost immediately. And after a 30 minute journey where I got storked (a new term that I am introducing here…I was on one leg for 30 minutes ... not very different from the posture of a stork) I came out visibly shaken and terribly disappointed

Uncovered Drains and nalas

Now is where I get slightly emotional. The reason why I have written this epic is because we just lost a classmate to Dengue fever. One would think that Dengue fever is contracted only in god forsaken places in back-of-beyond Africa where the mosquito population outnumbers the human population a 1000 times over. I was shocked to hear that Dengue fever is very rampant in Bombay during the monsoons. When I kept reading (on daily papers) about the mounting cases around the city, it did not do more that just surprise me. But when one of our classmates passed away in a span of 3 days, this was then when it hit me. Drains, the breeding ground of mosquitoes are open and have stagnant dirty water all throughout the year.

I could write a book on why I hate Bombay so much but I think I’ll just put a lid on it for now.

I hope I have not offended anyone too badly!

9 comments:

Seema said...

A 5 day stay and I share the same concerns for Bombay. What is very surprising is despite the list above Mumbaikars love their city more than anyone else.

Ashwin said...

hmm... interesting. I didnt think it was this bad! are the Mumbaikars like our friendly neighbors down south who talk with swords and not words? wonder what my Mumbaikar friends will say when they read this.

I'm really sorry to hear of your friend. i dont know how much we have to say and do before things start looking up!

Deepa Vinodhan said...

Inspite of being a Mumbaitee for 22 years, I'd say you've listed down all the things I dislike about Mumbai.
I am hoping things change, atleast to an extend!!

Ashwin, Mumbaikars are friendly, but there are exceptions.
Don't you have a good bunch around you :P

Archana Ragothaman said...

common...i think you are just being cruel with your opinions...
1. dust bins - mumbai is filthy but not all places are like that. town side is so posh, so is bandra.
2. spitting - don't tell me people don't spit around in bangalore and chennai.
3. local trains- dude!! this is the best part of mumbai. tell me any other city which has such good public transportation. In bangalore it is soo difficult to get home post 8 PM when the riksha drivers refuse to come where you want to go. They just sit around chatting with fellow riksha drivers but will not budge(wonder how they make money!). You have to travel in the local trains to actually experience how friendly and helpful people are. And how can I forget to mention, the local trains started running immediately the next day after the train blasts! Has any other city got sooo much resilience?
4. I am sorry to hear about your friend.(Maybe that's the reason you hate the city so much)But Mumbai is not a breeding ground for dirt. It is a city which receives a lot of rainfall (a proper 4 months of monsoon). I think in spite of such heavy monsoons, the city dosen't drown. The drainage system works wonders and as a Mumbaikar I have seen how the Municipality works long hours to unclogs the drains during the monsoons during downpours.

Maybe you didn't like the city as a tourist. But I haven't seen any other city which exudes so much life and spirit as Mumbai. (Let me take you around the next time you visit).

Ashwin said...

Ajaxx... i linked your blog from mine... hence the passionate Mumbai sentiments... LOL!

PURN!MA said...

Well, I agree with you,Ajay, when you talk abt the filth and the spitting issues. Though I must admit that Archana has a point too.

I Dunno what stand to take on this, but inspite of the humid weather which I hate, inspite of the overflowing crowd everywhere, which again I am not too fond of, and inspite of the fact that being the financial capital of our country, the international Airport is not upto the mark; I like the city (as a tourist)... It is the bouncing spirit of Mumbaikars that strikes me everytime I step into the city. If you want to know what I mean by the "bouncing spirit", Plz come to Pune and then go to Mumbai... U'll clearly the see the difference btwn the laid back attitude of Pune and the vibrancy of Mumbai.

Jayded said...

@ Ashwin.... Heheheh.. I figured that out mate.. Not many people visit my blog.. Not even I... and to see 6 replies in a short span of time, I knew something was up!!!

@ Archana...
Well... First things first, I dint mean to offend an Bombayites. I'm not as dumb as I look!(Ashwin will second that.. wont he? hehehe)
Secondly, this is not a comparison or a "MY DADDY and MY CITY STRONGEST" contest. If you notice carefully, Ive not abused the train service as much as the lack of maintenance shown. I still maintain(wrong word?) that it is a very efficient system but that it isnt maintained!(at all?)
Thirdly... if YOU are DIRECTLY comparing Bombay to Blore wrt to spitting and cleanliness..... Most people would agree that Blore is FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...(would have included some more 'A's here if not for the lack of time)...AAAR cleaner.
And last but not the least, I'm not a tourist here. But if and when you return, you can surely show me around... ;-)

@ Purnima.... I do admire the spirit of the Mumbaikar... Ive even written a paper on it here and won a prize for it!

@Deepa.... There is hope still. I wish Bombay goes the Delhi way..... I was FLOORED when I visited Delhi... AWESOME place

Prasoon said...

Well,
I am an outsider too - have been to Delhi, Bangalore, Mumbai, Ahmedabad to name a few and I stay in Hyd but lemme tell you - I still love Mumbai. I have spent around 2 months staying there and you talked of local trains that I loved most. Name me one city where transport is easy post 9 pm - I remember catching a local at 1 in the morning n reach suburbs at 2:30am - it just seemed a normal time of the day.

You name Bangalore - tell me one thing - can Blr cope with the amount of traffic? Mumbai is bursting with people yet hasnt fallen apart - chk that with banaglore n you've a 2hr jam everyday at Hosur Road/Koramangala.

Sorry to say this but I find Mumbai the only city with LIFE in India where you learn to actually 'live' - survive once in that city and you can live anywhere in the world and so, I admire it for teaching me that way yo live.

@ Shantala said...

Happened to cum across this certain "anti-mumbai" (?!) post of yours when i was doin sum blog surfing:P

And since we dont know each other..lemme tell u that i have been a mumbaiite all my life(does that get u biased on me already?:P)

Well i for one am todally in love with the city...though not irrationally so..so i wont deny anything of what u sed--all true i agree!!..and all of what archana said was very true too!!

Doesnt that leave us with a mixed bag here??!!And whats so wrong with that??

U must see the mumbai i know..may not change ur view...may dent it a bit though:D Lemme know when u need an insight on "whats so cool about bambaiii":D

Cheers!!
Shantala